taking the long way home. almost to the finish line.

Monday, August 29, 2005

hi again! i always have a hard time starting these posts. the biggest news lately is that we have, as of now, lost two trainees. maybe it was for the best, but they will be missed. this place isnt for everyone. it is hard to find where you fit in here. especially in a homestay. i personally feel that i am not my own person right now. sort of jump when they say jump, go when they say go. when we all get to our own houses we will feel much more independent.
i guess i am going to have a tv in my new house, which means i will have access to arabic news as well as the bbc. when i came i was hoping to get away from stuff like that. but that just isnt life here. everyone (jordanians) thought i was crazy for not wanting a tv. so now the other volunteer who is leaving the site is leaving hers for me.
the houses here are interesting. they are all glass and concrete and stone. no wood to speak of. actually, i saw a stack of lumber the other day, and it looked so foreign. made me think of home. all the houses blend right into the land because there is limestone everywhere. most of the houses are made of limestone. any house that isnt beige sort of leaps out at you. the land also feels very old sometimes. like this place has been here forever, relatively untouched. there are ruins everywhere, from every stage of jordan's development as a country. there are stone fences everywhere, kind of like california's central valley. you know, the old stone corrals? apparently nothing is ever torn down. there is a cool castle near to jennifer, one of the other volunteers. i am hoping to check it out. it apparently is the oldest castle here and is full of secret passages and stuff. another of the volunteers is in ghura safi, which is right next to the dead sea. so i guess that makes her the lowest peace corps volunteer in the world. the problem is that it is really really hot there. but her site sounds really cool.
she and her counterparts are the only light skinned people living there. the black population in jordan is really discriminated against. the girls at her center were asking her why there were never black people on tv here, or even represented anywhere for that matter. so i guess she has a project, although it would be an overwhelming one. maybe i will talk more about race when i have more time.
one last note, i have my new address! i will be there as of september 15th. my address is:

Andrea Girard
P.O Box 139
Wadi Musa / Petra
71810
Jordan

i guess if the package is shoe box sized or smaller i can get it in my po box. if not it goes to a bigger post office a couple towns over. no big deal though, i think it is a 20 minute bus ride or something. and i will have a lot of time. dont get me wrong, i am not expecting you all to send packages, but if you write letters i will write back! i need the rancho's new address. i have a postcard i have been meaning to send, but i didnt have the address. but now it is too late so i will wait till the tenth. isnt that when you guys are moving?
also, matias: can i have your number? delfino was on the ipod the other day and i was going to send you a text message, but couldnt.

text messages are super cheap for me to send, so you guys may get one from time to time. ok. till next time.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was happy to see your posting today. I dreamt of living in Afghanistan last night, and woke up in sweat. I'm off to SFO today to get Aunt Helen. I'm looking forward to her visit. My posting did not make it through where I talked about the protests in Crawford, Texas. Local people have chosen to go there to protest the war with Cindy Sheehan, the mother of a killed soldier. Now war supporters are also going there. Some very minor violence has already taken place, mainly, the destruction of crosses placed at the roadside to represent the war dead. I have been viewing pictures of the Wadi Musa. It is a gorgeous valley. We'll talk again soon, and I'm glad to know that packages should ideally be shoebox size or smaller. Love, Mom

7:52 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Andi! As I am sure you know the Gulf coast was devastated by Hurricane Katrina. Bush's approval ratings are at an all time low. He stayed on vacation until after New Orleans and Biloxi had been distroyed. Many in New Orleans sought shelter in the Superdome, which lost a large portion of the roof. Now the big plan is to move the 20-30,000 evacuees to the Astrodome in Texas. They have cleared their schedule until December! Can you imagine? Hell on earth! I also can't imagine that they couldn't come up with something better, at least a place to put down enough cots for everyone to lay down. Anyway, I am just beside myself with fury at the way this whole ordeal has been handled by our government. *sigh* Skylar is getting so big! She started 1st grade last week. Love you and miss you! Allison

2:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andi- New Orleans looks like the third world! There are dead babies, dead people in wheel chairs, disease is starting to take over and people are starving and becoming severly dehydrated. It is surreal to see...even Bush the cocksucker addmitted today that the government has not done enough and acted to slowly. Also, the Senate approved $10 billion in aid for the disaste. Now it's going to the house. In addition most of the people who are being in need are black. The poor minorities of of New Orleans, Biloxi etc that did not have the resources to get out...nuts
-daniel

7:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't get over the faces of the poor, sick and dying. Most of them are black faces of the poorest who had no way to leave town and were stranded in buildings and on the street dying. Aunt Helen and I are trying to find some deeper message to this. I'm thinking that I should do something to help migrant workers here before something like this happens here during an earthquake of Tsunami. Think globally, act locally. We are unmasked. Our national guard have been subverted to fight a foreign war.How dare the President appear to those people without food and water in his helicopter. I am so discouraged. He didn't hesitate to land on a carrier in Iraq, he should have been on a trasport and supply plane.Whatever happened to compasion and succor to the sick and dying. I hope that W remembers the bible passage "That which you do unto the least of us you do unto me." Latest estimate, 10,000 dead and rising.

9:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me again, the climate in the US right now is very similar to that of 9/11. People are in shock and horrified by the images on our televisions. The latest reports I have heard indicate that a day after the disaster, so private donations showed up in New Orleans just to be turned back by FEMA. I sure hope that someone loses their job. Your less-than-politically-active sister has even written a letter to her Congresswoman and Senators. I said that they should start looking for a new job because I know I would've been fired. I can't help but think that this would have been much different had this disaster taken place in Connecticut. I don't know that race was an issue, but poverty sure was. Those people will never be the same again. It is absolutely heartbreaking. Miss you mucho!
Allison

2:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Andi! Your descriptions of Jordan are amazing. I can't believe you're really there. I'm so proud of you! drop me a line when you can. emastone@sfsu.edu
Emily Hillman

3:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andi Baby- Tell us more about your work! Maybe we can help with ideas to make it more what you want it to be. And is there anything you're craving but can't get? I can enlist the trainees to help with a care package; everyone would be so happy to be able to do something for you. (Speaking of the trainees, did Kate tell you that they got us all naughty thank-you presents at Finals? I got a pocket-rocket- tee hee!)

I think I'm finally starting to process that you're not just on vacation for a while, but really living in Jordan. I'm having serious Andi-lack pains.

Bear hugs and lots of love,

Nicole

1:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home