taking the long way home. almost to the finish line.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Today on the news there was a Lebanese man holding a small child’s body. It was grey from the ash and dirt and rockets. It had no arms. It had nothing below the ribcage. And though it had a perfectly clear face, the back of it’s head was missing. What the fuck, Israel?!?
How this is appropriate retaliation for the abduction of two soldiers escapes me. In fact it certainly seems like collective punishment to me. everyday i feel more and more like i am living next to a napoleonistic little warmonger of a country. I found myself being asked to defend Israeli foreign policy. And I found myself being asked to support American foreign policy for supporting Israel. And I refused. I couldn’t. as I think about most of the surrounding countries here, all I see are problems. And those problems didn’t just pop up by themselves. A woman said to me, “we just want to know what we (arabs) did wrong to make you hate us.”
‘Nuff said.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just for the record, if I am ever kidnapped by a foreign government, or ANYONE, please don't kill 200 people in exchange for my safe return. Okay, don't even kill one person, especially if that person is a child. I would rather die than live with that guilt.
I love you Andi. I really do. Please be careful. Please stay safe.
Love Always, Your Sissy, Allison

11:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andi - The horror of war in this modern world is that there is never a "front line". Every time we chose to wage war, or support war, we can expect scenes like the horific one that you described. I think it is fair for you to point out to those who question you that you are in the "Peace" Corps, and that you do not defend the aggression of others. Do you ask them to defend the actions of those who chose violence to solve world problems? It is also fair to point out that just as all Arabs are not alike, all Americans are not alike. I know; it's easy enough for me to say sitting here in California. I'm just hoping that you don't take on undeserved guilt and I'm hoping that people in that region realize that many Americans do not support the actions of Israel, or of our own government. I love you and hope that you are able to cope with this latest bad stuff. Love, Mom

7:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

4:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

12:25 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

7:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home